September is NC Electrical Safety Month
1. A live electric line has fallen on your car. What’s the safest thing you can do?
- Stay in your car
2. What was the number one cause of death during Hurricane Bertha?
- Falling trees
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
3. True or False:
Birds can safely sit on power wires that would kill people.
4. True or False:
Power lines coming from the transformer to your house are covered and okay to touch.
5. True or False:
It is safe to climb a tree located near a power line as long as the limbs aren’t touching the line.
6. True or False:
It is safe to touch a power line with a pole, antenna or other object.
7. If you see a downed, or low hanging power line, you should:
- Move it out of the way and call your local electric cooperative.
- Don’t worry about it.
- Stay clear and call the electric cooperative immediately.
8. How much voltage is needed to hurt or kill people:
- 120 volts
- 240 volts
- More than 240 volts
- Any voltage
9. Which of the following can conduct electricity?
- Tree Limbs
- Human Body
- All of the Above
10. Electricity travels at the rate of:
- 120 MPH
- 2,800 feet per second
- 186,300 mile per second (speed of light)
11. Most power lines are:
- Bare and dangerous to touch
- Insulated and touchable
- Bare, but okay to touch
12. Flammable materials should be:
- Always be stored near electrical equipment that may cause a spark.
- Not be stored near electrical equipment that may cause a spark.
13. Where is the safest place to be during a lightning storm?
- In a car
- In the middle of a field
- In a house
- Lying face down on the ground
14. True or False:
Using a telephone during a lightning storm is dangerous.
15. True or False:
A car is a safe place to be in an electrical storm because it has rubber tires.
16. The average number of people who die in the United States each year from being struck by lightning is about how many?
17. The greatest number of people who die from being struck by lightning are who?
18. True or False:
All overhead power lines are completely insulated.
19. True or False:
Water is the best conductor of electricity.
20. True or False:
Electricity is always seeking ground.
21. Don't release ______ near power lines.
Click here for the answers